Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I don't think this is what Rick Steves meant when he said "Through the Back Door"

     It was the evening before our last play, which would turn out to be a serial killer love triangle vampire drama  with a set that would later be used by Lady Gaga in her recent Oscar  performance  We were looking for dinner as usual, and I was on the hunt for some of the best Mexican food in London.  I forget how it happened, but somehow we decided that The Rainforest Café was our best option.  My friend  went inside to ask about accessibility, because the entrances were very confusing. They told us that their lift (elevator) was out, but assured us  that there was another way to get in the restaurant. So, after about 10 minutes, the waiter apologized and came out of the side door. They explained that they actually   freight entrance to gain access to the secondary elevator. We went through a maze of  hallways clogged with cleaning supplies and various instruments that made it look like the back stage prop room of an urban musical, or as  my friend would later aptly describe “the set of an edgy urban horror movie.” Needless to say, this “accessible entrance” was actually so inaccessible because several doors and important pieces of equipment had to be moved out of the way by staff members, and it looked scary enough that this was questionable. Now, I've been through some interesting entrances in my day, and it usually adds character to the place, but it was only about to get worse from here.
      About 10 minutes later, we did manage to end up in the downstairs floor of the rainforest Café. Now, this was the first time I had ever eaten at the Rainforest Café. All I knew about was the kids cups and the store full of giant stuffed animals on the first floor. I was completely unaware of the sound effects and giant animal costumes or statues that might occur. Anyone who knows me knows that I still (yes, really) have an irrational fear of  mascots or people in large costumes touching me, or basically getting within five feet. I can handle this, but it still weirds me out, stemming back from when 5-year-old me  thought Donald Duck was a stalker at Disney World.
      So anyway, there were some very lifelike gorilla  animated creatures in the corner of this basement space, and here we were, sitting, eating  our nachos all alone, which could have used more cheese, by the way. And, suddenly,  thunder started booming and lightning flashed throughout the rainforest scene, accompanied by a cacophony of shrieking animal sounds. Anybody who knows anything about CP knows that one thing that we never get rid of is called the Moro, or startle reflex. It is common in babies up to 3 months old, I believe, and is usually grown out of. In my case, however, it caused me to spaz out of my chair and utter a few choice words then, and about every  10 minutes thereafter, even when I knew it was coming. I also have issues with suddenly switching strobe lights (i.e. "lightning"). Maybe this is why I don't go clubbing! Anyway, these two  elements combined with the straight up creepy factor of a plastic gorilla staring you down while eating do not lead either of us to recommend this place for people who have trouble with loud noises, seizures, PTSD, dizziness, or creepy plastic figurines. Although the food was decent, it was also the most expensive meal for two  we ate on the whole entire trip.
     I would like to say that this was the weirdest element of our night, but I would have to say the sadist pedophile vampire love drama was still even creepier. What a night that was!

No comments:

Post a Comment