Thursday, August 20, 2015

“A Small Family Business”… and a cold!

      It seems kind of odd to take a minute now and think back about how you, as an American, would spend the Fourth of July in a place like London. Of course, we were supposed to have many interesting adventures like a tour  of the National Theatre, but due to renovations, this was canceled, so we spent the day doing what any self- respecting tourist would do–shopping!
      The only thing  of note about this day was the fact that I had a splitting headache and would fall asleep once again on my second trip to one of the world's biggest tourist attractions, the London Eye. Because of access passes, I was able to bring my lovely friend along for  a discount, and  thankfully she only spent about half the time making fun of me for falling asleep. (Yes, mom and dad, the traveling narcolepsy strikes again!) I do remember being awake for the picture, but it didn't turn out well.
      We had a nice dinner together and then we all had an assignment  that night. “A Small Family Business” was a very humorous play about a family that gets caught up in its own lies about money laundering and what happens after that. Though after seeing such stunning shows  with spectacular special effects, this play usually ranked as everyone's least favorite, even though I seem to recall it won  an Olivier award (for you Americans, that's like the Tony award). I knew at this point I was  struggling to pay attention to things such as set design and delivery of acting, when of course I ended up sitting right next to the professor. A couple weeks prior, they told us that about half of us would get sick because we weren't used to the bacteria in the food and water. As everyone else was interested in snacks during the intermission, I was interested in not sneezing on the professor or the actors. Lo and behold, for me, that day was today. But, I had no time to rest, for I had a  journal due that night, as that weekend was the predetermined adventure in Paris. I was sick as a dog, but I'd be damned if I had to get a refund  on those tickets! How the hell we were going to pull that off, I had no idea…

 Stay tuned for the adventures that followed in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment