Sunday, April 19, 2015

So, I never really was a poet.....until today.

This last week has probably been one of the most incredible weeks of my life. I never thought I'd say that! From being surrounded by 700 people that have received the same gift that I did, which I'll write about later, to coming back to sickness and sheer exhaustion, to being able to see some of the most loved and respected disability activists and scholars all in one week, and then, to become a poet.

 I had  always dabbled, you know, for English class or whatnot, but I never really saw myself as a performer, it was always awkward, never really that easy. But then last week,When I put pencil to paper (literally) the words just came with an ease  that I have never experienced nor understood. So, even though I'm terrified, I'd like to share both poems that I wrote with you, citizens  of the inter-webs. Here goes!

 This first poem was modeled after Laura Hershey's "Translating the Crip." I have been asked to perform it in American Sign Language at an event next week. Wish me luck!

When I say

When I say disabled, I mean mostly by the comments people say to me.
When I say choice, I mean you don't have to ask "are you sure?"
When I say accessible, I am learning it doesn't just mean "is there a flight of stairs?"
When I say responsibility, I mean you're here to help me, not protect or judge me.
When I say education, I mean I don't know if it will matter because of what people like me are supposed to do. I also can't help but  think of the enormous privilege I've been given.
When I say work, I hope that means one day not just for personal fulfillment. But it also means recognizing all the ways others can contribute.
When I say solidarity, it means no matter what.
When I say collaboration, it means virtual, in person, or in spirit whatever form that may take.
When I say inspiration, I mean all the badass people who must continue to exist even when we are told we are unfit to care for ourselves or another person. 

And another, shorter one.....

This was in the style of Stacey Millbern's "No one ever sat me down and said."

No one ever told me

No one ever told me I can't do anything I want. 
No one ever told me that I wouldn't have to "get used to it."
No one ever told me that I would want to be the way I am.
No one ever told me what it feels like to hear someone say "People like you have children?"
No one ever tod me about the amazing community I would find from claiming crip.


Many thanks to the  D Center for hosting this event and Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha for being a revolutionary badass. It was an honor to share space with you and a pleasure to see you again. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment